Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Brooke's first camping trip

How do you have a cheap night of family fun? Camping, of course!

Last Friday afternoon, Brad and I were looking for something fun and unusual to do as a family. I suggested camping! Brad was skeptical. Throw together a camping trip in less than an hour? (After we'd hosted an Easter party that morning, too!) Besides, it was darn cold outside. Oh, ye of little faith!



Braving the cold, wind, rain, and wild beasts, we set up camp in the family room! Brad pitched the tent and built a fire in the fireplace. We set up sleeping bags, sang camp songs, roasted marshmallows, and read "Curious George Goes Camping" by flashlight. It was lots of fun. When we first told Brooke that we were going camping, she held her nose -- she was referring to George getting sprayed by a skunk on his camping trip! I had to break the news to her that we wouldn't have skunks on our trip, although I know of three black cats who would have loved the tent!


Getting a two year old to sleep in a tent, however, was not quite so amusing. Brooke liked the idea so much that she didn't want to go to sleep and miss out on the fun. She kept wiggling, kicking us, standing up to play with the tent and pulling on the zippers. Finally I threatened that I would go sleep on the couch if she didn't go to sleep. She kept up her shenanigans and I followed through on the threat, which she did NOT like. When she kept fussing, I told her that she needed to go to sleep right then or I would go put her in her crib. She believed me and finally went to sleep -- perpendicular to Brad, and kicked him all night! She actually slept there all night and woke up at her usual time.



It was the first of what we hope to be many fun nights of family camping. Next step, the backyard!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Sounds like fun! Of course, Elizabeth will not be going camping until she learns to sleep outside her crib!