Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Brooke Becomes a Do-It-Yourselfer

We've had a few home improvement projects lately (to say the least). I'll post the results of some of those later. Brooke has picked up on this as well, and when she sees my camo work shorts (and usually an old orange work shirt from Home Depot) she points and says "Daddy work!"

And then one day she added "Brooke work!" and "Brooke help!" - very enthusiastically! And if we said "no" she would cry just as enthusiastically. She really wanted to help me work! She has turned into my little assistant, and challenges me to find ways for her to help.

So, if I'm going to have an assistant then she has to have skills! One night we had a little training session. I really needed these 4 scrap pieces of wood connected into a rough square, and it was Brooke's job to do it!


I believe that the heavy-duty Dewalt worksite radio behind us is playing "The Man on the Flying Trapeze!" Everyone (including Brooke) knows you have to have something to listen to while you work!

She learned how to hammer (mine was a little heavy so she used hers. Hint: predrill the nail hole!)



She learned how to drill holes and drive screws, using both with a screwdriver and a screwgun.


Then she had to sand it smooth...


And give it a coat of paint (water-based paint minus the paint!)


She was very pleased with her work!


She did a great job and was really into it. Not once did I have to drag her back to finish or keep her attention. I love my little helper! Do you think she is ready for a Miata engine-swap? :)

3 comments:

amy said...

Way to go Brooke! Girls can do anything boys can!

Kate said...

What a good helper! Looks like you might have a future engineer on your hands!

David said...

Good job Brooke!!