Thursday, December 07, 2006

Pen and inks


I've been doing a growing number of pen and ink drawings over the last two years; they're becoming one of my specialties. It's a tricky medium because there is no erasing! Actually, many pen and ink artists don't show their originals because they use correction fluid to cover mistakes and so the pieces are only meant for reproduction. All of my originals are white-out-free so far. Most pen and ink drawings don't have ink washes, but I always do those because I really like the softness and added depth that they give. I haven't had a colored one commissioned yet, but I anticipate that I'll start doing those at some point, as well.

Here are three that I've been working on over the last few weeks. These are Christmas presents commissioned by various clients. The houses are a set for people who just moved from one into the other. The portrait of the older couple is a gift for their daughter from her son; the grandparents have both passed away. I was very happy for the opportunity to branch out into portraiture in this medium. I selected portraiture as an emphasis in AP high school art but haven't done any more until now. Each of these drawings required two days of work. I've finally upgraded to a very nice set of technical pens which need to be filled with ink and then cleaned out afterward. It's time-consuming to care for them, but I really like using them better than the felt-tipped ones. (By the way, thanks again, Scott and Nancy, for the gift of my drafting table; it's making my job a bit easier!)

So I am now finished with all of my official jobs of the year. (Although I might take something else small if it comes up.) This will be the first year since I started the art business that I decided not to work right up until Christmas and I'm looking forward to the slower pace! Maybe I'll finally get around to re-doing our kitchen table top.








So far, though, I still think that my best pen and ink drawing so far is the one of Amy's church in Arkansas.



Starting in January or February, I'm going to redirect the art business to do more studio work like these sketches instead of the murals and faux finishes. That will allow me to work from home in smaller chunks of time (like during nap time) -- and ultimately give me more time with Brooke. I still love painting murals and faux finishes (and I might still take a small job here or there). Work still keeps coming in from referrals and I'm actually starting to turn down jobs. It's VERY hard to do that, but I feel like God is calling me to further develop my studio work and -- mainly -- free up more time and energy for family, friends, and whatever else He sends my way.

2 comments:

Kate said...

They're beautiful! And, I'm glad you've finished earlier this year instead of trying to kill yourself finishing things up!

KyTexBeth said...

I'm in awe of the artistic gifts you've been given. What a blessing that you can use them in such a way that's so satisfying to yourself and your clients!